I aim to promote the interests of Tasmanian's, conscious of the rights of each person, the importance of every community and our place in the connected world.
Current campaigns I am working on include:
- Tasmania's infrastructure needs - including Cradle Mountain upgrades, Hobart Ferries and Hobart Light Rail.
- Fighting the Bureau of Meteorology’s plans to remove local weather forecasting from Tasmania.
- Legislating an Australian Modern Slavery Act - I am committed to the abolition of slavery in all its forms. My participation in the public hearings of the Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade’s Inquiry into Establishing a Modern Slavery Act in Australia brought home to me the significance of this issue, and the importance of a victim-centred approach to the eradication of modern slavery.
- Banning Australia's domestic commercial trade in elephant ivory and rhinocerous horn - the Parliament's Joint Standing Committee on Law Enforcement which I Deputy Chair, recommended that the Commonwealth, states and territories develop and implement a national domestic trade ban on elephant ivory and rhinoceros horn. I am currently advising on the development of Labor’s policy to implement this key recommendation and the others in the Committee’s report.
- Raising the age of criminal responsibility to 14 throughout Australian jurisdictions.
- The cruelty in some sectors of Australia's live-export trade.
- Improving Australia's relationship with India at all levels.
- Medicinal cannabis and drug law reform
- The humanitarian emergency on Manus Island and the Rohingya Refugee Crisis in Myanmar and Bangladesh
- Promoting renewable energy and stopping the Adani mine
- Supporting the United Nations and international nuclear disarmament
- Australian Republic Movement
These issues change - check back in for further information.
If you have an issue that you are concerned about or want more detail on you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.